Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Yarn Along: RIP





  
 

Time for yarn, and for books to share.  Last night I was feeling so excited to share pictures of the Sibella Babe sweater that was 7 inches long and ready to divide for sleeves when ... *cue horrified slapping of the forehead*  I realized I had accidentally knit the whole thing on size 4 needles instead of size 5 which probably was going to make a size difference.  So.  RIP rip rip, out it came.  Some maybe would have just kept going and found a way to get around it but I'm too much of a perfectionist to let something that huge go without repair.  I'm now about 1 inch into the ribbing again so it looks like I  made no progress from last week - when really I've been knitting up a storm!

The other day, to reroute bickering I told everyone they had to think of something lovely to say about the other people in the car.  After going through each person with a nice thing to say, Lyddie declared, "And Mommy, I love it when we read together in the afternoons!"  I already knew she did;  I have known for a long time that her love language is "quality time" but I hadn't even had that in mind as a reason for our reading together - it's just something we've always done before rest time.  It doubled my gladness that I have continued reading alone with each child alone each afternoon for even just 15 minutes.  Lyddie and I finished The Wonderful Wizard of Oz yesterday and now we are reading Lady Lollipop by Dick King Smith.  I have decided to feed Millie a steady diet of Mother Goose, fueled all the more by the light in her eyes and her sudden fascination with rhyme and word play. ("Lyddie, are you cookin' or are you mookin'? HAHAHAHAHA!!!")  We are also spending greater time outdoors according to recommendations by Charlotte Mason; we aren't quite up to the 4-6 hours per day mark but pushing closer and closer as the weather allows.  This is good for my yardwork and the girls seems happier and more peaceful and more engaged inside and out. 

In my own reading is still The Magicians by Lev Grossman.  Sunday afternoon I also finished The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis, completing the entire Narnia series for the first time.  I had read most of them as a teenager and child but never had read The Horse and His Boy and they are like different books when reading them as an adult. Can you blame me for the tears of happiness and hope as I read the descriptions of Lewis' ideas of what heaven in Narnia could be like?  

Say hello so I can track back to your blog if I haven't already visited! Happy Yarn Along!

8 comments:

  1. Oh yes, indeed! Further up and further in! It's been a few years since we journeyed through Narnia as a family via read aloud. I'm currently enjoying my stay in Mitford and will have to suggest to Dan that we, perhaps, pick Narnia back up for evening reading. So sorry about your frogging. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a shame about your knitting. Happens to all of us! I know what you mean about Narnia. Why I can be hopeless reading aloud - I will start tearing up at all sorts of things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done that with my knitting as well:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I've done that, I've missed making a button hole, you name it. This is a sign of a seasoned knitter. Love that you changed the attitude in the car with positive statements!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Sarah, I'm so sorry about all that ripping!!! What a bummer, but I would've done just the same. We must share those perfectionistic tendencies! I'm sure it will be worth it all in the end, and I can't wait to see it all finished up! I do not blame you one bit for your tears reading C.S. Lewis. I cry them, too. The Lord of the Rings does the same for me with its symbolism. King Theoden being set free...wow! *Hugs*, Dear Sarah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love love love the Narnia series! I have realized how wonderful it is to cry at the end of redemptive books :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have ripped it out too--and I am so sorry! The rest of this post made me smile a lot, and giggle a little.
    xoxoxo
    Tell my girls that Mimi loves them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I HATE it when I made mistakes like that and have to rip out. So frustrating! I'm sure it will be worth the effort in the end.
    We are big Dick King-Smith fans here. We read Babe a month or so ago and Dh kept coming in and laying down on the bed, as well, because he was enjoying it so much! We ordered a bunch of his books second hand from England (I have a "thing" for loving used books) and they have just arrived. I can't wait to read them with my kidlets.

    ReplyDelete